Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15, 2014

To start the week off I sensed something off with Elder Sales. He was very quiet and did´t seem like him self. At first I thought it was something that I had done or said. Finally I sat him down to straighten things out. Poor guy. He received his first email from his Sister during his mission. She told him that his last Grandpa who he was close with was really sick and passed away. The worst part is that he kept asking to see Elder Sales but because he extended his mission he didn't get to see him. If he would have gone home when he was suppose to he would have seen his Grandpa before. Really sad moment for not only him and for me as well, because we are literally family at this point. When he hurts, I hurt. It really made me think, why did this have to happen to him? He is doing everything he is asked and more. This I came to realize that God works in mysterious ways. I was thinking it was going to be a long and sad week but it wasn’t at all. Once we started working, teaching and loving the people it was as if we both had forgotten. It was truly a blessing that we are here doing this important work.
   
A lot of other stuff happened this week but I only have time to share one experiences. This week we were planning on having a baptism. He was a son of a non-member but the Grandma who is a member wanted us to teach him and baptize him, because she knows the blessings that come from living the church standards.
 
So over the past few weeks we have been teaching Gostavo and the lessons. He is super smart and had no problem learning everything. We know that a baptism is a event that no mother can miss so we finally convinced the mom to come. The only problem was that is was Stake conference which is a hour and 30 mins bus ride from our area. But she still promised to show up. We were so excited we baked brownies and chocolate chip cookies for after.
 
The next morning it was pouring, I have never seen it rain so much with such force in my life. We showed up at stake conference and there was no sign of them, we were standing by the only open door in the building. We tried calling the Mom 20 times but no one picked up. We had bishop pass by their house and he said that he couldn´t find them.
 
The meeting was about the start and Elder Sales said it’s all good we have next week. We both had broken hearts. We had anticipated this day all week. As we were heading to the meeting and turn the corner of the hall we saw Gostavo and his Mom standing on the other side of the hall way soaking wet!!! Elder Sales and I broke out in a sprit to greet them. We still don´t know how they got in the building because only one door was unlocked. (blessings)
 
The experience I had during the baptism is impossible to describe with words. The feeling I had inside of me was one I’ve never felt. I felt like I was glowing inside. I was so grateful for the opportunity I had to do this sacred ordinance. Now I know why we walk in the scorching sun for more than 9 hours every day and leave everything in our lives for two years. It’s not something you can explain to someone, it’s just something you have to experience.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas. Everything is great down here in Brasil.

Feliz Natal

Com Amor,
 Elder Seth



No comments:

Post a Comment